In a time when more Americans have access to health insurance than any other time, it should come as no surprise that there is a big need for more medical professionals. From occupational therapists to cancer specialists who continue to research new and improve cancer treatments, there is an increasing need for people to go into the medical professional.
According to the latest research, orthopedic surgeons perform an average of nearly 29 procedures every month. With an increased number of patients in the future, however, it may be difficult to work more patients into the schedule. In addition to the increase in the number of patients, the medical field also faces the challenge to an aging population. In fact, osteoporosis and low bone mass are a major public health threat for the 44 million Americans who are 50 years and older.
Finding Enough Internship Opportunities for Medical School Graduates Is a Current Challenge
Even as the need for more doctors continues to increase, there remains a shortage of internship opportunities for medical school graduates to get the experience that they need to be ready for their eventual careers. So even though there continues to be a great need for people to work as doctors offering emergency care services, the current number of medical school graduates are not meeting that need. Consider this list of the number of reasons that medical workers continue to be in high demand:
- Obesity is a term that means a person weighs at least 20% more than what is considered a normal weight for any given height. As the number of people in the country who are obese increases, there are many doctors who are needed to treat the resulting conditions of obesity.
- With 268,670 new cases expected to be seen in 2018, breast cancer is the most common type of cancer in the U.S.
- Sports medicine, hand surgery, and joint replacement. are the three most common subspecialties of orthopedic surgery.
- 59% of chronic-pain sufferers reported an impact on their overall enjoyment of life.
- One in seven Americans has some kind of orthopedic impairment.
- The U.S. needs about 52,000 more primary care physicians by 2025 to meet our healthcare needs, according to current data.
We live in a time when there is a growing need for people to enter the medical field. From doctors who will continue to work with patients and the latest cancer treatments to primary care physicians, there are many career opportunities available in the medical field.