This is a day to celebrate. As you found your seats in the eight row above home plate at the national college world series, you were caught off guard by the level of emotions. Two years ago your brother nephew was clinging to life after brain surgery. A fall at work had led to what looked like a life ending injury. Today, however, that same brother is at the ballpark. The fact that he is able to walk to his own seat is a miracle when you think back to where he was at 24 months ago.
Today’s neurosurgical operations help many people get back to the lives that they lead long ago. Finding a way through a devastating accident is not always easy, but with the right kind of medical help spine disorders can finish with a happy ending.
Brain Surgery Options Continue to Help Many People Find a Way to Recovery
From car accidents to work accidents and other extreme injuries, there are many times when people find themselves in need of some serious medical attention. Brain surgery, of course, is always a challenge, but as more and more doctors expand their practices there are an increasing number of patients who find that they are able to get the results that they want.
Consider these facts and figures about the ways that brain surgeons and other medical specialists are able to use their skills to help the lives of others:
- Low back pain is the single leading cause of disability worldwide.
- Unfortunately, more than 1.5 billion people live with chronic pain.
- Lumbar spinal fusion joins or fuses two or more vertebrae in the low back.
- A bulging disc can originate in any of three spinal regions that have spinal discs: the upper cervical, the middle thoracic, and the lower lumbar.
- Surgery is necessary for a patient to achieve relief from pain and loss of function in approximately 10% of all bulging disc cases.
- Nearly 80% of adults will experience low back pain at some point in their life, according to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.
Spinal disporders and brain injuries require the most careful care as many patients look for a way to make sure that they are able to get back to living their best lives. In an effort to limit pain and increase mobility, it is important to make sure that patients are able to come out of surgery successfully.