It is a well known fact that American is in the middle of a obesity crisis. At least 66% of people around the country say they are currently on a diet. At least half of people who try to lose weight with a diet fail because of issues with willpower. That is what is pushing many to have procedures such as bariatric surgery. There are several options here. They can have gastric sleeve surgery or gastric bypass surgery. These procedures can do a lot to help people lose the weight they want to lose. Many people attend medical weight loss seminars and decide to take the plunge. If you are one of these people, here are some tips to help you recover from your surgery.
- After surgery, get up and walk as much as you can. This may seem to be the very last thing you want to do after surgery but it really is the best thing you can do to get yourself on the path to recovery. If they brought this up at the medical weight loss seminar you attended, you may have thought this was a crazy idea. Your surgeon will advise the same thing. Start slow. Just get yourself to walk around the house. Next start walking around your neighborhood. Make this a part of your routine every day. This is one of the healthiest things you can do for yourself.
- Your doctor gave you a post op diet, follow it. There is a reason they gave that to you and you should follow it to the letter. There are a few reasons for this. No matter what kind of bariatric surgery you had, your digestive system is very different after the operation. It is important to really pay attention to what you eat. The surgery will have been a waste if you do not follow the diet they gave you. Stock your kitchen or pantry with healthy foods. If you do not have junk food in your home, you will be less likely to eat it. As you keep to your diet, it does get easier. Your taste buds do change so that foods you never thought were good before, are good now. Just stick with it.
- Do things to keep your spirits high. One thing they may not go over during the medical weight loss seminar is how people are often depressed after major surgery. Keep in mind that the bad feelings will go away. Sometimes after leaving the medical weight loss clinic do not see the results they want as quickly as they want to see them and they get discouraged. When you get discouraged, go for a walk. Do something active. Have you ever heard of the “runner’s high’? Well, it is a real thing. When people do strenuous exercise, the brain releases endorphins that make them feel better.
- Check out support groups in your area. One area they probably brought up in that medical weight loss seminar you attended was the importance of getting support from people who have been through or are going through the same thing you are going through right now. Issues that were not brought up during that medical weight loss seminar will come up after your surgery. You can get a lot of questions about day to day life after bariatric surgery answered when you go to a support group. Some people have a hard time talking in these groups when they first get there but it will get easier. You can take inspiration from other people’s success stories and get support when you need it. At the very least, check it out and give it a chance.
- Do not be afraid to reach out for help. After bariatric surgery, cheating is just something you cannot do. Cheating leads you to start feeling badly about yourself. That can lead to more cheating and before you know it, you are back where you started. If you feel yourself thinking about cheating on your diet, call someone. This can be the hardest thing to do in the world. This is one of the reasons you should go to a support group. Find someone you would feel comfortable talking to.